Bands Whose 'Best Of' Is Their Best Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FloydVivino, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay The autochanger switched as I filled my sandwich..

Thanks!

dumangl likes this.
  2. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Yes. I've heard the 70's albums and there are some gems on there to be sure. I guess for me, though, Rock N Soul is still the first release I'd take, if just for the variety and consistency of material. I must admit that Hall & Oates is definitely an artist where I feel the hits are predominately their best material. At least for me.

3. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Not to mention Pretties For You, Easy Action, and School's Out too! :)

That said though, the 1974 hits album is still the one I'd take if I could only keep one release by the band. If just for the quality of chronological sequencing that (almost) covers all the bases of the original group.

4. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay The autochanger switched as I filled my sandwich..

Weird Scenes' first track is Break On Through. It's a good overview of their output from 1967 on.

5. ljohnfoxx123

ljohnfoxx123 Lord Foxx Of Chorley

Easily

ARK likes this.
  6. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

You've got to be kidding.
    Rock of Ages is one of the catchiest rock songs and powerful choruses as well as the lead in to the chorus.
    They named a best of cd after it an a Broadway show and film.
    Billy's Got A Gun and Die Hard The Hunter are far from filler themes and fall under epic deep tracks. Plus, all three tracks you referenced appear on the Rock of Ages best of album. They don't place what's perceived as filler on best of collections.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  7. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

I knew saying that would fire ppl up, but it's true. While Def Leppard certainly has a lot good/great songs, songs like "Billy's Got A Gun" and "Die Hard the Hunter" are forgettable and "Rock of Ages" is highly over-rated.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Well all three aren't just on the Rock of Ages best of but the one that came out in the UK called Best of Def Leppard that has a slightly different tracklist but all three of those remain on both sides of the Atlantic.
    TBH Rock of Ages is IMO the greatest Rock anthem ever.

carlwm likes this.
  9. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

I tried Ram several times, no luck, but I will def check out those other 2 though

10. Crawdad

Crawdad Detroit Rock Citizen

Prefer their original release albums.

11. classicrockguy

One of the greatest collections of all time is H&Os “Atlantic Collection”, which covers about 60% of their first 3 albums on Atlantic when they were first starting. Only 1 hit, “She’s Gone” in the longer version with the sax solo, everything else is not over-familiar/overplayed.

Also one of the greatest opening songs of any collection, “Goodnight and Goodmorning”

12. Oh! Let me tell you about ' Ram'....
    Bought it when it was released and didn't like it it from the get-go.
    What a disappointment after ' McCartney ' which I thought was great.
    Found ' Ram' overstuffed with silly voices and mediocre songs. ' Uncle Albert..'? " ... butter pie...a butter pie? ...the butter wouldn't melt so I put it in the pie!" Oh , puh-leeze ' Monkberry Moon Delight ' ? Totally annoying..." piano up my nose..Na Na Na Na Na Na..Monkberry Moon Delight !"
    Reviews were very mixed at the time with many negative ones.
    Every couple of years I' d play it and still dislike it . A couple of good tracks but that was about it.
    Years passed and then I was seeing many positive reviews and re-thinks about it and some were now calling it his best album.
    Well...was I mistaken in my criticism? Was this album actually a slow simmering masterpiece that I had not appreciated.?
    Pulled it out and played it again. Same piece of crap.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  13. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

A lot of bands who primarily did singles.
    Certainly Abba and the Carpenters come to mind along with groups like The Association, Three Dog Night, and Bread.

Getting a bit more into a group that actually had some good albums, I'll say :

HOT ROCKS (The Rolling Stones)

14. PNeski@aol.com

PNeski@aol.com Forum Resident

I agree with best of,no Fleetwood Mac lp is as good,Then Played on is very good but no

15. PNeski@aol.com

PNeski@aol.com Forum Resident

Way better,no way?

16. classicrockguy

Exactly the same with me, except that “Uncle Albert...” is one of my favorite of his solo songs that would not be out of place on Abbey Road. Otherwise, I agree completely. The critics were right about this one.

17. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

I know that some fans like Immaculate because it's a real time capsule for 1990. I can understand that, but (to my ears) that Shep Pettibone sound has dated horribly. Also, I'm a purist. I wanted (and want) the singles I grew up listening to. The later Celebration compilation almost got it right, but it also edited down a lot of the songs.

MrGrumpy and Man at C&A like this.
  18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

A Nod Is As Good As a Wink...To a Blind Horse is a classic album.

19. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Lol... no.

20. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Many of the compilations posted in this thread have been superseded in the CD era. For instance, Al Green's Greatest Hits was quadrupled in length for a 2009 CD reissue.

[​IMG]

donmac likes this.
  21. Sure is...with a handful of great tracks not included on that Faces compilation.

22. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Fair enough!

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  23. HastingsBoy

HastingsBoy Forum Resident

Ram is clearly one of the most overrated albums ever. Half baked, twee, irritating,average songs. You really only need Wingspan or the 4cd Pure McCartney compilations.

ARK likes this.
  24. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Yes, I've got that CD, it's great! It's a good introduction to some of their music that people who just know the hits might not be familiar with. The period after this and before they really hit the big time with Voices also contains some great and sometimes surprising music. (I like the hits too!)

25. saskimo

saskimo Forum Resident

The Cult: Rockers, Ravers, Lovers, Sinners.