Bands that have changed dramatically

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rafael Blues, Jan 2, 2020.

1. I genuinely think the music is rubbish. It's one of the worst albums I've ever heard, in my opinion. I'm glad others enjoy it but I've sat through it more than five times and I've rarely heard such a load of old cobblers in my life. It sounds like a cross between Westlife and The Dubliners.

Farmer Mike likes this.
  2. Antenociticus

Antenociticus Forum Resident

Menudo

Game Over

3. Come to think of it, didn't the Scorpions do something similar in the '90s? I seem to recall seeing a video of their s for a very synthy - and very horrible - song, but I'm afraid to trawl YouTube for it...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Rage Monster®

I wouldn't be surprised in the least. I dunno, though.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Forum Resident

My first thought.. one of the most varied bands I know. Robert Smith’s voice is of course instantly recognisable, but the music from album to album up until the early 90’s is quite astonishing. No wonder Robert Smith gets p@ssed of about The Cure being labelled a ‘goth’ band! So, so much more to them than that..

6. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

If you were a fan of Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band when their first, straight ahead blues-rock single Diddy Wah Diddy came out, heard nothing about them, and four years later picked up Trout Mask Replica, I think your mind would be absolutely blown.

Chrome_Head and drift61603 like this.
  7. fictionalsounds

fictionalsounds Forum Resident

coming back just cause i forgot the screwball/skewed/faux jazz of "the lovecats" and "mr. pink eyes" in the middle of those early years, they were all over the place!

8. KankRat

KankRat Forum Resident

Pink Floyd.

9. KankRat

KankRat Forum Resident

Apparantly Ambrosia was a prog band before they became soft rock or whatever it is. I haven't confirmed that though.

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Haha! Kudos for that double reference :D.
    I just love the epicness and non-repeating song structures and Charlie's slide guitar and Jim's low key vocal delivery.
    I was on a Scottish holiday the summer the album was released and it totally went with the landscape.
    But this was my entry point to Simple Minds so I had no preconceptions. Then I worked my way backward and THAT was a shock. Their early music was totally off the critical radar in the late 80s, nowhere as hip as it is (deservedly) now.
    The opinion then was "yeah, they put out some immature crap before New Gold Dream".

Colin Allstations likes this.
  11. drift61603

drift61603 Forum Resident

Bob Dylan: Rock and roll to folk back to rock to country to cover artist to acoustic rock to the hard driving Rolling Thunder Revue to a Vegas style crowd pleaser to fire and brimstone preacher back to secular rock to bad 80's production period to almost joining the Grateful Dead as a permanent member, and then to lifelong troubadour ---- with stops for nursery rhymes, old folk songs, cut and pasting old material from disparate sources to create new blues rock songs, and covering a lot of old standards along the way. There's more, but those were some of the big changes.

Chrome_Head and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. I read an interview from 1989 in Q where Jim himself dismisses I Travel as being some kind of juvenile thing.

DTK likes this.
  13. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

$$$

14. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Everything But The Girl:
    Jazz Pop (Eden) > Jangle Guitar Rock (Love Not Money) > Bacharachian Chamber Pop (Stars Shine Bright) > Smooth Jazz/Adult Contemporary (Language of Life/Worldwide) > Jungle (Walking Wounded) > House (Temperamental)

Was not sure how to categorize Idlewild and Amplified Heart, but perhaps those are the 2 most "EBTG" sounding albums in their discography.

ABC (Mark White years):
    Brit Funk/Pop (Lexicon of Love) > Guitar Rawk (Beauty Stab) > Electro (Zillionaire) > Blue Eyed Soul (Alphabet City) > Chicago House (Up!)

Not sure how to categorize Abracadabra.

Farmer Mike likes this.
  15. NJ Englishman

NJ Englishman Well-Known Member

A lot of the bands quoted here did indeed change a lot over time to the point where, say, Genesis's "Musical Box" sounds nothing like "Invisible Touch". But the change from album to album was still gradual. The biggest change in sound between albums for that band was probably Duke to Abacab or We Can't Dance to Calling All Stations, but still not that much of a radical change between albums.

For a really extreme transformation over four albums (and three years, 1996 - 2000), check out the following albums from Norwegian band Ulver:

Kveldssanger
    Nattens Madrigal
    Themes from William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell
    Perdition City

1) Dark Folk / Neo Folk -> 2) Black Metal -> 3) Experimental / Post-industrial / Avant-garde Metal / Industrial Metal Ambient -> 4) Avant-garde / Electronic / Trip Hop / Ambient / Jazz

The leap in style from 2 to 4 in particular is staggering... check it out on YouTube.

16. NJ Englishman

Sorry, meant to say 'four albums in four years'.

17. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

The MOODY BLUES from the Denny Laine era to the Justin Hayward era.

18. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Grateful Dead
    garage rock w/ a taste for British Invasion and blues
    acid rock improv
    folk-rock
    country/roots rock
    jazz-rock
    arena rawk with tastes of funk/disco and reggae, even prog

Every year from 1966-79, they added some element that gave their sound a different flavor. At some points, they practically became a different band.

Chrome_Head, Matthew Tate and carlwm like this.
  19. Son of Ziggy

Son of Ziggy Forum Resident

Queen from playing hard rock to short hair, moustache and every genre imaginable, thanks to Freddie.

Matthew Tate and carlwm like this.
  20. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

Slowdive - from aggressive but catchy shoegaze to the atmospheric electronic rock of Pygmalion...Radiohead followed their lead in more ways than one.

21. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Foreigner became so foreign not one original member remains.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. NJ Englishman

Ulver. Second album was folk, third was black metal, fifth was ambient / electronica. The most extreme genre hopping I have ever seen.

23. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

hard to recognize this is Hoobastank, pretty funky track from 2018.....

Hoobastank - Push Pull (2018)

24. bRETT

bRETT Forum Resident

Not really true, it has always been Mick Jones' band. He was missing gigs for awhile due to medical issues but that's over.

25. Barry Off EastEnders

Barry Off EastEnders Forum Resident

Traffic - from like psych to the jazz fusion thing...

rockclassics and Chrome_Head like this.