20 Years of Jethro Tull Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Keith V, Jan 20, 2020.

1. tootull

tootull Cats are on the upgrade

Middle section chop chop the instrumental part.

Keith V likes this.
  2. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

Yes, he posted that right while I was posting my question. Are you going to tell us what the "and more " part is?

Keith V likes this.
  3. tootull

tootull Cats are on the upgrade

1988 Jethro Tull 20th pin
    [​IMG]

4. Add these to my earlier post:
    Moths (remix)
    Thick As A Brick (live '87)
    Living In The Past (live '87)
    Aqualung (live '82)
    Locomotive Breath (live '82)
    Sweat Dream (live '82)
    The Clasp (live '82)
    Fallen on Hard Times (live '82)
    Wondering Aloud (live '87)
    Dun Ringill (live '87)

slipkid, lucan_g and Keith V like this.
  5. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident Thread Starter

As far as the 25th set, practically everything on it is exclusive to that box. 1/2 of it content wise and most of it mix wise.

slipkid and pinkchris1967 like this.
  6. Keith V

Does anyone know the 15 previously released masters that were used?

7. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Sunflower Lover

Truly great box set, own both the CD and vinyl version.

lucan_g and Keith V like this.
  8. What a review! I don't agree with it a 100%, but... you never come across detailed and honest reviews like that of DE sets in the press anymore! As far as I can tell they're all a waste of time, instead...

slipkid, tootull and Keith V like this.
  9. I think the two tracks which impressed me the most from this set (which I discovered much later, in the 90s) are the two tracks more or less at both ends of the historical spectrum, i.e. "Stormy Monday Blues" and "Part of the Machine". I've always liked the sea shanty feel and beautiful lyrics of the latter. And since I've always been a fan also of the Mick Abrahams line-up, the former was the real lost gem for me - they cook as we used to say, just beautifully! And I like it better still with that semi-corny DJ introduction and cap-off!

slipkid, lucan_g and Keith V like this.
  10. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

True, A was the only album left out in the cold on the 20 Years box, not counting the
    The 25th Anniversary box likewise neglected one album (Stormwatch).

The rest of the machine. Duh. :rolleyes:

I'm actually counting 23 previously released masters, but some of those were on rare or hard-to-find releases. The "15 tracks" figure might come from the fact that there are 15 tracks on LP #2 (Rare Tracks, Released But Only Just).
    Let's see ...

Album tracks:
    "Cheap Day Return"
    "Only Solitaire"
    "Bungle in the Jungle"
    "One White Duck/O^10=Nothing at All"
    "Grace"
    "Salamander"
    "Under Wraps #2"

I'm not counting "Moths" because, although it's the same recording as the one on Heavy Horses, the mix is very different. ("Moths" was released as a single, but as far as I know, that release was just the album cut, rather than the remix. I'd welcome corrections if I'm mistaken on that point.)

Non-LP single sides:
    "Aeroplane"
    "Sunshine Day"
    "One for John Gee"
    "17"
    "The Witch's Promise"
    "Teacher" (UK version)
    "Summerday Sands"
    "Strip Cartoon"
    "A Stitch in Time"
    "Coronach"
    "Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow"

EP tracks:
    "Life Is a Long Song"
    "Nursie"
    "March the Mad Scientist"
    "Pan Dance"
    "King Henry's Madrigal"

slipkid and Keith V like this.
  11. Keith V

It seems that some of the set was treated with reverb. The BBC stuff and Teacher comes to mind.

12. Keith V

I think I’ll made CDrs of the vinyl order. I always loved side 8

13. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I think that 20th Anniversary box was the first CD boxed set I ever bought (I bought it as soon as it was released). Ironically enough, I now own the vinyl box but not the CD box...!

Keith V likes this.
  14. Keith V

I like the order on the vinyl. Are the records digitally sourced? I would assume.

15. Tullhead

Tullhead Forum Resident

At the time, it was generally felt that this pretty much rounded up all the known unreleased and rare stuff that existed. Time has disproved that with the Nightcap and subsequent deluxe releases of course. It was far from perfect (edited BBC tracks, needless inclusion of readily available album tracks, some live versions which were not the best) but despite its flaws it was a wonderful thing to hold in 1988. I still have the vinyl box and also the cut down 2lp version (which was initially mispressed with a track missing, I have one of those). The outer packaging was also rather vague about the nature of some of the tracks so just looking at the box you'd think you were getting previously released tracks but they were new live versions. All in all, it was and is great, but everything that has come since has dwarfed it. I was at Hammersmith Odeon on 1987 for the few tracks from that which are on there.

16. kwhisperer

kwhisperer Forum Resident

I liked that set - like an update of Living in the Past LP for the CD era.

slipkid, pinkchris1967 and Keith V like this.
  17. I loved the original box but could not afford it at the time. What I did get, and still have, is the 21 track single 'Highlights' CD. In the last few years I have been buying the recent JT remasters with which I've managed to get the bulk of the original studio tracks included on the box, with the exceptions as stated above such as the song Motoreyes.

I have to agree with the person above who said that Jack-A-Lynn must be one of the best outtakes ever, up there with Dylan's Blind Willie McTell IMO.

18. SJB

"Jack-a-Lynn" was actually included on the 2CD Anniversary Collection, the only rarity to be accorded such an honor.
    [​IMG]
    When Ian compiled The Best of Acoustic Jethro Tull, I was a little surprised that he didn't use the only fully acoustic version of the song, a 1981 demo previously released as a B-side to "Rocks on the Road."

(Later, when the Heavy Horses book set came out, I was surprised again that Ian recorded a home demo of a song three years after a studio version was first attempted....)

19. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Sunflower Lover

Lovely boxset, I own both the CD- and vinyl version.

20. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eye

I recently picked up the vinyl set with clean LPs and chewed up box for $2.
    :cheers:

21. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

It was my very first cd purchase. Great box. Amazing amount of unreleased stuff.

Keith V likes this.
  22. Wordnat2

Wordnat2 Square as hay, dull as cattle.

Nice scans! I agree that a “20th anniversary” sounds downright quaint today.

Keith V likes this.
  23. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

This and Jack-A-Lynn are fighting it out for the title of "Best Unreleased* Jethro Tull Track"

* - that has since been released.

24. slipkid

slipkid Forum Resident

I have two (actually three) Rocks CD singles.

One is a 2 CD set box where CD #2 came separately in a cardboardish sleeve. That has the '81 Jack-A-Lynn demo on CD1. Strangely the CD2 sleeve also came with a full sized cardboard replica of the actual CD inside, so that you could put the real CD in the box and keep the fake cardboard one in the original sleeve (which is what I did, although I also keep that sleeve in the box too, since it is plenty big enough). The box also has a booklet.

The other one I have came in a regular jewelcase and that also has the J-A-L demo on it, along with other tracks some not on the other two CDs. I'm not sure if this one was a promo or a regular release. Mine has a cutout notch in it along the jewelcase spine that extends into the back cover art (unfortunately).

Collecting back then there were all kinds of cool CD singles to get like this, was fun going to record shows, never knew what you were going to find and most of it was a total surprise.

25. SJB

The two different 4-song EPs were released in the UK; the 6-song version was issued in the US. Very annoying that each disc has some exclusive content.

Jellyfish also had a UK single released as a double set, with a cardboard placeholder for CD2. An annoying way to boost sales and chart placements, no doubt.
    [​IMG]
    The Jellyfish B-sides have since been collected on album, which is not the case for most of the "Rocks on the Road" B-sides.

slipkid likes this.